I'm often approached by friends and family that they have a PC that is running sluggish. So I thought I would publish a story that explains some of the reasons why this happens.
1) Probably the number one reason a Windows PC starts running slower is because some type of malware (malicious software) has been installed. More than likely you the user does not know this has happened. This is probably the top reason why Windows PC's start to run slower.
2) Another reason Windows PC's start to run slower is because when you purchased the PC, the amount of memory that was installed was not enough and as you purchase more applications to run, it just starts running slower due to lack of memory. You may want to visit www.crucial.com and see about purchasing more memory.
3) Many programs when you install them, have a service that starts up at boot up time. Many times they are not needed and you may want to review those applications that start up at boot time. Adobe, RealPlayer, and others can be eliminated from the start up. You can click this link I wrote on CCleaner. It has a handy tool that shows you what applications start up and gives you an easy way of deleting them.
4) As time goes by, you've installed and uninstalled many applications and sometimes the Windows Registry can get sort of frapped up. Once again, my previous reference to CCleaner, it has a tool that cleans up your registry. Click here for that posting.
5) Another reason that Windows PC's perform sluggish is due to a too intrusive of an Anti-Virus application. OK, I believe that Symantec's AV product is too labor intensive for home users. I personally use AVG's AV. Not as labor intense.
These are just a few reasons that slow Windows PC's. There are others but I consider these as the top ones that you can conentrate on. Stay safe and have a great rest of the week.